For the past few years, I’ve taken a cue from Chris Brogan and have selected three words to guide my personal and professional life. I’ll be doing the same in 2013, but before I look forward, I thought it would be appropriate to look back and review the year we’ve just experienced!
In January 2012, I shared with you my three words (see the full post here) for the year and over the next few days, I’ll share my thoughts on how it all went.
Today, I start with my first word …
+ SUSTAINABLE +
Here is what I said about this 12 months ago:
I will make a conscious effort to lead a more sustainable lifestyle. I am constantly juggling to many things and it is no longer sustainable. 2012 will be there year I focus my time and energy on the things that matter most. It’s starts with family – specifically my relationship with my wife and my kids. I will continue to pursue the things I am passionate about, but will be more intentional. Whether it’s music, hosting a podcast or being a professional fundraiser, it must all be sustainable and bring joy to my life and not interfere with my primary role of being a husband and a father.
Here’s where I’ve succeeded:
- I started (albeit a little late) a tradition with my kids in early October that has been extremely fulfilling for me. Once a month, I take each of my children to breakfast before school. Each child has their own week and we use the time together to have some great conversation over coffee (for Dad), hot chocolate and breakfast. I’ve appreciated this time with each of them and only wish I would have thought about this sooner!
- I regained focus in my professional life by achieving a major certification in my industry. After long hours of studying, I wrote and passed the 4-hour exam and am now a CFRE. With changes likely coming in 2013 at the organization I work for, I’m glad I now have this highly coveted designation.
- I’ve realized, now more than ever, that I truly enjoy hosting a podcast. I am passionate about the power of meaningful conversation and feel that my interviewing skills continue to be sharpened.
Here’s where I’ve failed:
- The primary goal was to make all of this sustainable and I’m afraid that I’m not quite there yet. I’m passionate about and have an interest in so many things that I often get myself stretched too thin.
- My passion for music took a back seat this year. I’ve not felt the inspiration to write music like I have in the past and after 10+ years as a worship leader, I’ve struggled with the impact this is having on my creativity.
- My calendar is too full and I’ve struggled with finding the time and space for the things that matter most. Some weeks are better than others, but overall it’s been a challenge.
Sustainable was a good word for 2012 and the lessons I’ve learned will need to be applied in 2013. Half the battle is recognizing where I’ve missed the mark and learning from all of this moving forward. I am confident the New Year will bring success!
Check back in the next day or so for my thoughts on my second word for 2012.
Until then, be well and make it a great day!