As I noted before, I chose three words to guide my personal and professional life this past year. You can view the original post where I discuss these three words here.
Today, I continue the conversation with my thoughts on my third word for 2012 …
+ HEALTH +
Here’s what I said about why I chose this word some twelve months ago:
I am bringing this word back in 2012. Last year was a turning point for me. I shed in excess of 50 pounds, ran two half-marathons and have never felt better. Having a healthier lifestyle has never be more important and, in the spirit of “sustainability”, it must remain a focus area for me in the year. I will complete two half marathons (April & October); one full marathon (May); exercise consistently (3-4 times a week). I will spend time in nature and get on my bike more consistently. Whenever possible, I will do this with the company of my beautiful and amazing wife and children.
Here’s where I’ve succeeded:
- I completed two half-marathons in 2012. At my half marathon in April 2012, I shaved in excess of 25 minutes of my time in 2011. The second, which I ran in October 2012, I was able to shave an additional 5 minutes and establish a new PR.
- I ran my first marathon in Fargo in May 2012! What an incredible experience. It took me 5 hours and 25 minutes, but I did cross those two lines! I heading back there in May 2013 to do it again.
- I’ve exercised on a consistent basis and feel better because of it.
- I’ve shared time with my kids while exercising (one of my daughters joined me on her bike during a few runs!)
Here’s where I’ve failed:
- I’ve not been as diligent about taking my bike out for this year. I had good intentions, but I failed miserably. I did get out a few times with the kids but not like I had hoped or planned.
- For as long as I can remember, I’ve struggled with my weight. Yes, I did shed in excess of 50 pounds in 2011 and although I shed an additional 25 in early 2012, I’ve struggled to keep it all off. It’s an ongoing battle for me.
- Juggling a crazy schedule and several projects has made it impossible for me to make a trip to the BWCA this year. For that reason, my time in nature was not where it should have been.
The journey to a healthier me continues to be a work in progress! When it comes to exercise, running and weight loss, I’ve already scheduled my races for 2013! In fact, I start the new year with a bang tomorrow morning as I run my first race of 2013 – the Polar Dash 10k. And yes, really-really-really cold temperatures are in store!!
By the way, you can check out the races I plan to run in 2013 by reading this post!
Check back tomorrow for a look at my three words for 2013!
Until then, be well and make it a great day!